Saturday, July 18, 2020

July 12, 2020

Our first real stop on our "epic" National Park tour...the Badlands.  Riley and I have been to the Badlands before.  We came here in 2008 when we drove with my parents from Indianapolis to Seattle for Joe and Michele's wedding.

We spent about half the day here, had a sandwich picnic in the car, met up with Rick after an epic bike ride through the park.  Riley and I drove to Wall Drug to get our free water (kidding!) but we weren't impressed.  She did buy some postcards and postage which took the lady about 15 minutes to ring up for some reason.  I think it was the lack of tax on the postage but tax on the postcards.  It ended up requiring two ringups.

We left the park and headed west, all the way to Mt. Rushmore.  We had a little drama when we found out that Mt. Rushmore doesn't charge admission but does charge for parking.  So everyone who has a park pass (like us) is still required to pay them.  So dumb.  Rick refused so I dropped him off with Riley and they ran over and took a picture.  I have been there and I could see their faces from where I was parked so...

Next stop was the Crazy Horse statue.  In the immortal words of our concierge in London, "Hop on, hop off, take picture".  We were scheduled to head down to Wind Cave National Park from there but a lot of it was closed because of the virus...so we changed plans and headed to Custer State Park.  Guess what...we loved it.  They had a wildlife drive that was gorgeous.










We saw this little guy on the loop.  He was hanging out by the road and we started snapping photos.  All of sudden, he started right toward the car full trot.  We had a car stopped in front of us but luckily, that car took off and Rick was able to pull forward enough that the bison ended up going behind us.  I promised Riley that we would see more animals at Yellowstone.



Dinner - Rick and Riley both ordered buffalo burgers and I got a pork cutlet, which oddly came with a double order of mashed potatoes with a lake of butter.  It was weird.  I asked for green beans as well and they were, hands down, the best part of the meal.

That's Riley's new friend John Adams.


I needed some water and it came out in a repurposed wine bottle.  It was delicious so I was happy.


The aforementioned buttered mashed potatoes...oh and sauerkraut.


Those delicious green beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment